Create 'Show Desktop' launcher icon in Ubuntu 18.04+
by Jay Mistry · Jul 09, 2019
Ubuntu 18.04 and it’s later short term support distros boast a plethora of different useful features.
But it disappointed many users by not providing a Show Desktop launcher out of the box, as it had done with it’s predecessors.
But worry not, today I will show you how you can create your own Show Desktop launcher in Ubuntu 18.04 and later distros!
To create new launchers, you will need to install MenuLibre, an advanced menu editor with a clean interface. You can download it from launchpad.
You can also download MenuLibre from Ubuntu Software.
Add a directory
This is an optional step. Open up MenuLibre & create a directory where you will place your custom launchers.
- Launch MenuLibre
- Click on the + icon in top left, and select ‘Add directory’
- Give a name to this directory
- Select an icon for this directory
- Click on the save icon ( next to + icon in top left) or
Add the launcher
Now that the directory is created, we will create a launcher.
- Select the ‘Custom Launchers’ directory you just created
- Click on the + icon in top left, and select ‘Add Launcher’
- Give the name ‘Show Desktop’ to this launcher
- In the command field, insert
wmctrl -k oncommand
- Save the launcher
Pin the launcher to the Dock
Our launcher is created, and now we will pin it to our dock.
- Search for ‘Show Desktop’ launcher
- Right click on the launcher
- Select ‘Add to favourites’
And now, it’s done! You have created the ‘Show Desktop’ launcher.
That’s it for today, people. See you in the next post.